Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I Am A European-American

DISCLAIMER: This should not, in any way, be considered to be a denigration of African-Americans or any other minorities.

I've got a bit of a problem with our racial atmosphere today, or whatever you want to call it. You see, I am not a minority. I am "white," even though my actual skin tone is closer to a light tan. And I look around and I see celebrations of African-American heritage, Hispanic heritage, Asian-American heritage, Native American heritage. But celebrations of "white" heritage are reserved for the KKK and too-late Confederate sympathizers.

Why can't I be proud of how my ancestors came over on the boat and built up a good life in America? It's obviously because they weren't brought here as slaves.

But if anything, I think that should be a better cause for celebration. My ancestors said, "Okay, let's leave everything we knew, voluntarily, for a place across a big ocean, in which our continued survival may not be certain." What is wrong with being in the majority?

I have to admit, I can't help but feel sometimes as if I'm being discriminated against. In all likelihood, I'm not. In all fairness, "white" people have done some pretty damn bad things in the past. But why should the sons and daughters bear the burdens of the sins that their fathers committed- or didn't commit?

Henceforth, I am no longer white. I am a European-American, and proud of it. Why not?

No comments: